Friday, February 19, 2010

An open letter to Brett and Sariah

Dear Buriah,

Acting on the old adage that the early bird gets the worm, I am now beginning my submissions of possible names for children that may come into your family. Outside of the obvious James, there are some great options which have come to mind that reflect a good deal of our family culture. Hence, I am appointing myself to the Naming Committee for your future children and my removal can only be effected by a unanimous vote of all other committee members.
  1. In light of our family tradition that it is better to call someone Fred than to call them Hey You when you cannot remember their name, and in view of the fact that after years of this tradition Brett became the de facto Fred in our family, and with the additional weight of our support of BYU basketball whose star this year is from a line of Jameses so long that he was named Jimmer to differentiate him from all the other Jameses in the family, I propose that your first daughter be named Fredette.
  2. While working at the temple the other night I saw a temple file card for a woman who had been born in Uruguay in 1902. She possessed a name so lyrical that it seemed a waste not to add it to the list of names for Wilson granddaughters in honor of their mother's missionary service in Uruguay. The name was Petrona Sanabia Susoni Gusoni. If this name never appears on an official Wilson family birth certificate, I think it is a shoe-in as a "pretend" name for all tea parties held in your home over the next twenty years. Just be sure to invite Mrs. Blobins as well to avoid any problems with hurt feelings.

Thanks for your careful consideration of these important matters.

Love, Gramma LaRae

4 comments:

  1. Aunt LaRae, the funny thing is, I'm a writing tutor for a church history class here on campus...and Jimmer Fredette is one of my assigned students.

    And I really like Petrona Sanabia Susoni Gusoni. It rolls off the tongue really nicely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fred. . . Mrs. Blobins. . . I love it! Hey, after all, I did Lucy! Does Sariah know what she's getting into!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa - Please tell Jimmer hello and that there will be a namesake in our family - even if just a nicknamesake. Is that a word???

    Yes - Sister Susoni gave us the giggles in the middle of a pretty sacred place. Oh grow up!

    Julie - Sariah is the icing on the cake when it comes to the name games in our family. Did you know that her father is James Redd Wilson????!!!! How does that happen. James Brett Wilson, son of James Brian Wilson marries Sariah Wilson, daughter of James Redd Wilson....You get the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brett replied thusly to my suggestions:

    Dear Mother and Papa,
    As you are aware, I am your only son. In light of recent associations and events I am proud to put forward my title as "De Facto Fred."
    This message is to inform you that the names presented for consideration have been noted and logged into first place in the suggestion box. I am also writing to tell you that, though he has made play after assiduous play, 'Jimmer' will not be heard much around our household...unless, of course, we are talking about the college all-star himself or I drop something heavy on my big toe. Fredette is a given.
    There has been a name proposed! (By the other two-thirds of the naming committee.) The first son, as he comes forth from the womb in all of his majesty, shall be deemed James Thomas Wilson. (Thomas is Sariah's closest uncle and on our side is the initiator of all this James business.) Three shouts! So there you have it.
    Mrs. Blobins will follow closely, along with Alexander Hamilton and some tweaked version of Val Kilmer (girl or boy), and then whatever comes after that will have to be referred to as 'Hey You!' or 'Puts Some Pants On!' Oh my, what a beautiful lot we will be.
    So thank you for your inquiry. We will deliberate on the matter and endeavor to fit the proper children with their corresponding label.
    Love you guys! Brett (1/2 of Buriah)

    ReplyDelete